Wednesday, November 30, 2011

HOW THE BEATNIK RIOTS BEGAN

EXT. 50S BEAT COFFEE SHOP: We hear a discussion going on inside.

EDDIE BEATNIK (VO): "So that's where the art of film is today...."


INT. COFFEE SHOP:

EDDIE BEATNIK: "It's caught between two poles: Fellini and Bergman. The man of heart and the man of mind."


EDDIE BEATNIK: "Fellini's simple and light hearted. Inside he's a child and through his vision we relive...well, you know." 


EDDIE BEATNIK: "Bergman on the other hand...what a cold fish! Did you see 'The Silence?' I thought it would never end. Bergman's just a rehash of Ibsen, only it's all done with stares instead of dialogue."  


BEATNIK EDDIE: "I'm afraid cinema will never reach maturity until it rediscovers heart. 

BEATNIK #1 (VO): "Yeah, heart!" 

BEATNIK #2 (VO): "Without heart film is nothing!"

BEATNIK #3: Dig it, Man. Without heart, life is nothing!"

  
Eddie looks for something.


EDDIE BEATNIK: "Anyone got a light? I can't find my matches."




BEATNIK #1 (VO): "Hey, you're putting me on the spot, man!"

BEATNIK #2 (VO): "Yeah, like matches cost money. Cats should use their own matches."

BEATNIK #3 (VO): "Dig it, man! In life you gotta have your own bread! No mooching!" 


BEAT GIRL: "Gee, that's too bad. I could use a light, too."


SPEED SFX: ZWOOT! ZWOOT! ZWOOT! as several arms race into sc., to light her cigarette. 

BEATNIK #1 (VO): "Let me lay it on you, Sister!"

BEATNIK #2: "Here's a light! Keep the lighter!"

BEATNIK #3 (VO): "I have a pocket full of lighters! Take them all!

BEATNIK #4 (VO): "I have a whole house full of lighters! 'Wanna see them!?""

BEATNIK #5 (VO): "Do you need a ride home? How about a sandwich?"







BEATNIK #2: "Eddie, I agree with your opinion about Fellini, but you got Bergman all wrong. He's witty. Actually Bergman is more like Fellini than somebody like Rossellini."


BEATNIKS # 3 and 4: "Rossellini's the main dude. Even Fellini copies him."


BEATNIK #5: "But does Rossellini have heart? That's the question."


BEATNIK #6: "Does Fellini have brains? THAT'S the question!"


 BEATNIK #7: "Yeah! Fellini thinks we're all interested in his fantasies about fat girls."


BEATNIK #7: "I don't think Fellini would know what to do with a real woman. In fact, I think Fellini is......" 


TO BE CONTINUED.......



16 comments:

Joshua Marchant (Scrawnycartoons) said...

Dig those crazy cigarettes! A riot as usual Eddie!!

kellie said...

Ye cats and kittens!

zillustration said...

those smoking variations are great! Love the porcupine puffer! btw, here's how Picasso does smoke: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHlTvE-AI3Q

Adam Tavares said...

Whoa I like how this is developing...

I like what Gore Vidal said about Fellini, and I'm paraphrasing here, "He's a painter of celluloid... the last great mannerist master."

ADC said...

Very funny there. Looking forward to part two.

Anonymous said...

Love this.

pappy d said...

Fantastic, Eddie!
More!
More!

Jeff said...

Hi Eddie. Great story, it made me laugh. Sorry to hijack the comments, but will you address the subject of Xmas trees this year? I'm curious to know if you buy one every year, and what your preferred tree is. Best!

Shawn Luke said...

Well, so far this is HILARIOUS!

Anonymous said...

Eddie, I love the way your visuals always get more and more baroque toward the cliffhangers.

I saw Rossellini's "Rome, Open City" on TCM recently. Amazing!

The Mush said...

Gotta love them crazy Rube Goldberg cigarettes

The Mush said...

Need a lighter? I gotta whole house of em! Real funny man!

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Adam: Yeah, Fellini (or Fellini/Rota) was great. "8 1/2" is a stunning masterpiece. Rossellini probably had a greater influence, though. 8 1/2 was such a personal film that it resisted imitation.

Jeff: Good question! My kids always preferred real trees that had the classic cone shape that you see in book illustrations, and that decided the issue. Me, I'd accept a tree that was a bit irregular in appearance, but very fragrant.

Of course you buy the biggest tree you can afford. Ideally It should be so big and impractical that it completely dominates the room and gets sap on everything.

I'd say it should be put up and trimmed 2 or 3 weeks before the holiday. My wife comes from Amish country where the tree is put up the night before Christmas, so there's always arguments about this.

If you put it up late then you should leave it up long after the holiday til it becomes a pathetic fire hazard and your friends and neighbors think you're crazy.

If you do a lot of socializing in your home then you might want a smaller tree. Smaller trees are easier to decorate nice, and you can get a unified theme in the art direction. I have friends who decorate that way and their trees always look a lot better than mine.

I usually end up with a huge old shaggy dog of a tree decorated amateurishly by children. Kids are short so they tend to decorate only the bottom of the tree, and only on the side they can reach, so the ornaments are all clustered in a kind of goatee on the bottom. It looks ugly but for the little kids who decorated it, it looks utterly magical and they spend hours every day infront of the tree admiring it. They like it so much that they make me like it...though late at night members of the family sneak into the room at different times and change things that they just couldn't live with. We all undo half of what everybody else did.

Z: Interesting film! Geez, I'd love to do a photo story like that where I play Picasso!

Joshua, Kellie, ADC, Anon, Pappy, Shawn, Mush: Many thanks!

Stephen: True, the Open City film is great!

Jennifer said...

Great story! Can't wait to read part 2.

I like Fellini. His movies are strange but fascinating. I always thought that Giulietta Masina (Fellini's wife and frequent star of his films) was a really good actress and a natural comedienne.

The Barker said...

Love this! Beatniks are such a funny comic type, but they get overshadowed by hippies.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

Jennifer: Yeah, Masina was great! What a couple they must have made!